Monday, September 13, 2010

Adios Verano!

So long sweet summer; it’s been real. This quite possibly might have been my favorite summer thus far in my sweet, 21 years of living. I have never done so much exploring and now, the official beginning of my next chapter. I can’t believe it’s been almost two weeks since I moved to this beautiful country. I also can’t believe that a week before leaving home, I viewed more of the United States than I had ever imagined I would. Time has just FLOWN by and I don’t think I’ve been able to fully take in and digest everything that has happened in the past few months. To have lived in three different places, traveled through various time zones, and said “see you later,” to many of the people that have been my core for the past 4 yours feels surreal to say the least.

I have been so fortunate to have met and be living with two amazing girls that have made this transition a piece of cake. Seeing as this past weekend was our last official days of summer vacation and that we all started work today, we did our best to take advantage of our final moments of “free time” and the beautiful weather we’ve been having in Madrid. I also took it upon myself to figure out a route to run to RetiroPark so I can make sure I have my me-time and can keep running a consistent hobby of mine. If you’re a close friend or family member, you know that my runs are what keep me sane, time for just me and my thoughts, BUT ALSO function as a tool in assisting my poor sense of direction. Thank you Google Maps and Pedometer for allowing me to scope out much of the world before entering it blindly. My route to Retiro was a success and I am learning more of the layout of my surrounding areas :D. This year is about independence and self-sufficiency and I feel as though I’m heading in the right direction.

In addition to my runs and walks throughout the beautiful parks and plazas of Spain, I’ve been enjoying making new friends, both American and Spanish! Orientation was a day full of meeting new people, many who either knew friends who completed the program in the previous year (therefore knowing Jess, James and Abby), which was an awesome opener and connection. What a small but giant world. I already feel close with my roommates and of course those I knew coming into this experience and there is no doubt in my mind that I am about to form more great friendships as the year unravels.

I was finally brave enough to take my camera out for the evening. It’s my baby and with my butterfingers I always make sure to be EXTRA careful. Thank you Marta for the tip of wrapping the strap around my wrist when taking pictures. See, these girls look out for me. Here is a photo from Marta, Jess and I getting ready to go out before la Noche en Blanco.

This event was created to bring together the community of Madrid through music, literature, theater, etc. Gran Via was PACKED with humans but it was certainly a sight to be seen. Live music in the streets, museums and the metro open all night = endless possibilities. Here is a picture of all the people in the streets near the Gran Via metro!

But also overwhelming. We didn’t stay very long and decided to meet up with some friends in a more relaxed area. One of Jess’s close friends from last year, Amber, is someone who I immediately got along with and it feels great to already have a little group of girlfriends I know I can depend on. Here we are having a caNa!

I’m loving my new life thus far and officially completed my first day of work. I will be working with infantil, which means ages 1-5… yeah. I’m most likely gonna get pooped on. But I guess I need to learn how to handle the little ones sometime soon. Here we go life experience. That’s all for now. I’m excited to get my actual schedule tomorrow and learn more about my school and fellow teachers, who are all young and beautiful… jeeze Spain, where are your ugly people? SERIOUSLYYYYY.

Bueno. Adios amores!!!!

-Li

1 comment: