Sunday, September 19, 2010

My first Spanish Cold.

I really should have known better. Everyone kept warning me that I would get sick. Between moving to a foreign country, that just happens to be highly contaminated with air pollution, and working long days in an infantil school, where the kids constantly have boogers running down their faces, getting sick would be inevitable. I just didn’t think it would happen so soon! By the third day of work, I was done for. I could feel the soreness in the back of my throat every time I swallowed and that was it. Bring it on cold. Unfortunately, the cold accepted my challenge and by Friday, my voice was completely gone. This made singing songs and reading stories to crying 2yr olds VERY difficult. However, I was also told that teachers don’t call off sick in Spain… Oh well, I’ve been a trouper and toughing it out.

I’ve also been sleeping a TON. I guess that is what you’re supposed to do when you’re sick. I just can’t help be feel a bit lonely and sad tucked away in my cozy box of a room while my roommates and new friends go out to explore Madrid all weekend AND that we still don’t have internet... I did encounter some excitement Friday night when Jess and Marta had some of our friends over at our place before going out. Earlier that evening Jess perfectly portrayed herself as my mom once again when she made me some soup to help me feel better. This was why, when I was beckoned from my room to help a nose piercing emergency I was up for the task despite how I was feeling. Having a lip ring, I’ve been able to give Jess some advice on cleaning and taking care of her new nose piercing but none of us were prepared for her “nosebleed” Friday night. We are still unsure whether it was just your typical run of the mill nosebleed or if her piercing was the cause. Needless to say, Jess removed her nose ring taking the experience as a sign. I support her decision 100% and gladly offered up one of my spare rings for whenever she wants to slip a little sumthin sumthin on her nose before going out one night ;)

I really just want to get better. I’m nervous that I’m still going to be feeling miserable when this next week starts. Being sick is not very conducive when your schedule is this:

Monday: Teaching Infants 9-5pm

Tuesday: Teaching Infants 9-1pm, Master Classes 4-8:30pm

Wednesday: Teaching Infants 9-5pm

Thursday: Teaching Infants 9-1pm, Master Classes 4-8:30pm

Friday: Teaching Infants 9-4pm

With additional homework, lesson planning, and finding time to use the internet to keep in touch with the world all thrown into the mix… It’s Sunday and I feel as though it’s my last day to get better. For some reason I don’t think it’s going to happen. My nose is still stuffy and now I have a bit of a cough… At least my voice is coming back, sort of. I should be able to get through Monday morning with some songs.

Wish me luck readers. I’m going to need it. Back to sleep for this little sickling.

::cough::sneeze::noseblow::kiss::

-Liana

2 comments:

  1. Little kids are germ bombs. Drink tons of OJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In related news, your life sounds really cool minus the cold.

    ReplyDelete