Sunday, September 26, 2010

Volume Control.

First things first, I am feeling much better since my last post. I still have the fading cough and sniffles but I am back to jumping around and singing songs for infants (and friends, let’s be real) like the good old Liana we all know and love. Which leads me to my next issue.

My name is Liana Rosenberg, and I have a Volume Control Problem.

Needless to say, my voice is of a pitch that carries effortlessly and often stands out in crowds. When paired with an extremely energetic and easily excited girl, such as my self, I have come to the realization (with the help of some family, friends, co-workers, classmates, heck, even strangers) that I tend to talk on the louder side. This is something I have been battling with my entire life and I have always been aware of the issue, but never really thought of it as a big problem. Things change when you move to a country where English is not the native language. So, in congruence with the theme “Liana Finds Herself in Spain” I have decided to make more conscious efforts to monitor the volume at which I am speaking. Don’t get me wrong; I happen to think there are many positive aspects of speaking loudly. For Example:

1. I’d rather speak too loud than too soft. What’s the point of talking if no one can hear you?

2. When controlling a class of 20 2/4/5 yr-olds, if you’re not loud and shouting, it may be difficult to maintain the attention of the class.

3. When I bust out a hilarious joke, you’re bound to hear it.

4. Whenever I didn’t have a microphone in a stage performance, my lines were never lost.

5. People know when I’m in a room, before they get there (which hopefully would be a pleasant surprise for most).

And now the Cons:

1. Speaking Loudly outside in Spain = “EVERYBODY LOOK, I’M AMERICAN,” making myself and friends targets for pick-pocketters and gypsies, or just mean people who don’t like Americans.

2. Reasons to be embarrassed? I’m not too sure about this one but maybe sometimes I say silly things that when exclaimed in public places may cause people to stare at myself/companions, which is often when friends tell me to take it down a notch.

Anyway, I’m going to try to speak at a normal volume from this point forward. I’ll keep you updated on my progress with this…

On a more positive note, as I am coming to the close of my second complete week as a full-time Master’s student and Native English Teaching Assistant in Madrid, I am feeling more comfortable with my life and routine here. Like I’ve mentioned in previous posts, the past few months have been super hectic and I’m enjoying figuring out a steady routine again. The adjustment to being far away from my family and friends has been difficult but it definitely helps that I’ve been meeting so many new and interesting people and just seeing so many new things in general. I’m also getting used to being a teacher and figuring out the different ways each class works. In some cases, like with the two year olds, I am the main teacher for the hour (crazy, they are 2 YEAR OLDS) and for the older ones I am more of the assistant (which is what I should be doing all the time). Some teachers are more helpful than others, and some take the time to go siesta… (which is NOT what they are supposed to do). And then there are the teachers that are my age and I want to hang out with on weekends (which will probably happen soon!).

I’ve also been trying to do things I normally wouldn’t do and just get the full experience of everything while I am here. For example, Jess and I met up with some friends yesterday to play a friendly game of basketball. Yes, I said, basketball. We played with an awesome group of humans, Americans vs. Spaniards! The Spaniards won, 26-25, BUT they also had one more player on their team (we played 6 on 5). I SCORED A BASKET. J It was a giant accomplishment in the world of Liana, seeing that I haven’t played basketball since I was on a team in the 4th grade… and wasn’t very good. I actually can’t wait to play again.

Hopefully, this will be the last blog that I will post from an Internet cafĂ© and I will have Internet in my apartment TOMORROW! It feels like it has been forever since I’ve had the convenience of internet in my home and I can’t wait to get back in touch with everyone I’ve been missing so much from home. Not being able to talk to anyone for more than 3 minutes on the phone or the occasional e-mail or g-chat has been hard and lonely. I’ve already told my roommates to expect me to be locked in my room for the first day since I will have a lot of catching up to do slash to be ready to meet many friends as I give virtual tours of our apartment via skype all day.

Alright friends, that’s all for now!

Xoxo,

Lianita.

1 comment: