Sunday, October 24, 2010

Long and Overdue Update. Lindsay, Zaragoza, and BIRTHDAY!

First, let it be known that this is my first blog post both written and uploaded via my own apartment and internet. YAY. :D. FINALLY.

Ya punto com finally got around to our internet installation a few weeks ago. The same day that our internet was hooked up, my freshman year roommate from CMU, the lovely Miss Lindsay Liu, left her home in Brooklyn, NY to embark on an epic vacation to Bali, Madrid, and Budapest! I had known she was planning to visit in October, but with the lack of internet I had been experiencing at the time, we had not yet coordinated our plans for her Madrid visit. To my surprise, Lindsay had chosen the weekend of a Puente here in Spain meaning an extended weekend with time for festivals and celebrations and most importantly no school or work Monday and Tuesday!!! Could things have been more perfect for her stay (Thursday-Tuesday)? I think not. Furthermore, the weekend of Lindsay’s visit, was very much a weekend of clarity for me.

First reason why: After weeks of my first “Spanish Cold” still lingering, I finally became fed up and showed one of my tissues to Jessica. What a sport. She told me that my boogers were not healthy ones on account of their cloudy greenish color… and that I most probably have a sinus infection and not just allergies as I was beginning to think. As a result, I made my first Spanish Doctor’s appointment, which Lindsay accompanied me to, haha and now I am finally on antibiotic.

Second reason: Having my own visitor made the fact that I am LIVING in Spain a hundred times more real. For our first night, Lindsay and I ate dinner and churos in the Plaza Mayor:

YUM.

The next day we went to the Reina Sofia, which I have passed many times during my runs around town, but hadn’t had the chance to go in! Having a buddy to go to museums and be touristy with was perfect J. We saw some cool exhibits, some strange exhibits and some classics. Picasso anyone? La Guernica? Yeah. Oh yeah. Best part about it all, I live walking distance from it and it’s free to go look at after 7pm.


The next night was Abby’s (another CMUer in Spain) birthday and we all went out to club Serrano 41. I think I was able to show Lindsay a good time here in Madrid! It was great to have a close friend from home here where everything is so brand spanking new. We took a ton of self-timer pictures, per usual and documented practically every second together. It was fabulous.




We spent Saturday shopping, both of us getting cute and spanishy things. Then, Sunday morning, Lindsay, Jess, Amber and I headed out on our journey to Zaragoza for the remainder of the weekend. Seriously, if I were a man, I’d marry Lindsay Liu in a heartbeat. 1) She is the most amazing chef. 2) She can drive a stick shift. This was key when we had to rent a car because here in Spain, it would have beeeen WAYYY more expensive to rent an automatic for the weekend.

Lindsay being the awesome girl she is, was designated driver and made this wonderful trip possible. So we all piled in the car with a bunch of snacks and music and on our way over to Zaragoza, we made a pit stop at Montaserio de Piedra. It was beautiful and we got some great pics:







We had an awesome time in Zaragoza during the Fiesta de Pilar. Parades, Concerts, Fireworks, clubs, humans, you name it. Everything to guarantee a good time. We were lucky that Jess has a family friend who happens to live in Zaragoza who was able to give us a little historical guided tour of the beautiful town. Everything was beautiful and I was so excited/happy to experience something so full of culture and history in Spain.





I feel like time is flying so quickly here. There is so much to do and I feel like so little time to do it. Lindsay came and is now gone and then all of a sudden it was time for my BIRTHDAY?!?! Crazy. I was nervous about having my first birthday in Spain because I wouldn’t be seeing my family and friends from home L. Luckily, I am so thankful to have the best roommates here in Spain. I had a fabulous 22nd birthday, one that I am sure I will remember for the rest of my life. I mean, how many times does a girl get to celebrate her birthday in SPAIN?! I made sure to bring little treats in for the teachers at school since that seems to be the tradition here. So I purchased a box of galletas ricas and wrote a little note telling my teachers to help me celebrate and to enjoy! They ate the cookies and sang happy birthday to me J. My kids at school also sang and hugged me multiple times = happy, happy, liana. After work, I came home and then met Marta for some birthday shopping on Fuencarral. I got a birthday outfit and some other cute things from Zara! SUCCESS. We then met Jess for some birthday tapas and copas in the Plaza de Santa Ana. We ate at Lateral in the outside terrace, fully enjoying the beautiful fall weather before it gets too cold. After dinner we headed home, and Jess “lost her keys.” I helped Jess re-trace her footsteps to find them… until she realized they were in a different pocket in her purse… how curious? THEN we went home and Marta had a cake all lit and waiting for me! THEY SURPRISED MEEEEEEEEEE! And it was a happy, happy, birthday.

Friday night was my actual birthday celebration at the Sidreria right around the corner from our piso. We ate a ton, drank and were merry. Then we left for a night out at the club and this birthday girl got her grove on. Here are some pics:






All in all, I can’t complain. Another year older really doesn’t feel weird at all, nor the fact that I celebrated here in Spain. I’m so happy that I love my group of friends here, and am loving where I live, and can’t wait for more visitors/adventures.

Next exciting thing: HALLOWEEN. Stay tuned for a super creepy and scary post!

Xoxoxoxox,

Liana


No comments:

Post a Comment